Us

Us

Thursday, March 03, 2011

I know it's late, and I should be getting to bed, but tonight we mourn the loss of our beta fish, affectionately known as "Fish".

(This appears to be the only picture I have. I was taking a picture of something else, and there he was smiling for the camera in the background - right after I brought him home)


I bought him for myself two years ago just before we moved above Porter's. It was the end of the semester, and I was celebrating a good grade on one of my finals. If I'm not mistaken, it was the same semester I got my wisdom teeth out.

He has been looking kind of bad for a while now, and I got online and read that putting them in fresh water that wasn't so deep can help. So we tried that. Apparently it was the straw that broke the camel's back. When we got back from our 10 minute trip to Walmart, he was bug-eyed on the bottom of the bowl with his mouth wide open and food floating out of it - looking like, well, a dead fish. It was a long time coming, and though we will miss our little fish, I am glad he is out of his misery and I can have my counter space back.

Although, if Finding Nemo has taught me anything it's that our fish is now enjoying the vast expanse of the open sea. I'm pretty sure when I flush my toilet in Ammon, Idaho, it goes directly out into the Pacific Ocean - it really is a miracle of modern plumbing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this and looked over at your beta fish that has been here for 4 yrs and it was lying on the bottom of the bowl. It does that a lot but moves if you move the bowl, so I moved the bowl and got no response. I repeated the action a couple of times and still got no movement from the fish. I thought how strange that they would die at the same time. Then I noticed a flutter of fins by its head. I put some food in and it swam up and ate some. Apparently this fish is immortal. It keeps looking like it's dead, but it never really is.

Megan Busath said...

Gus Gus lives on!