Us

Us

Friday, March 25, 2011

Giant Cupcake

When Chad was working at the Rexburg Porters, they carried giant cupcake pans for a while. Chad bought me one, and yesterday I used it for the second time. Sure am getting my money's worth out of that $30-something pan.

The Relief Society had a birthday dinner last night, and asked everyone to bring 6 cupcakes. The probably with everyone bringing 6 cupcakes is that: 1) A cake mix makes at least 12 cupcakes, so everyone will have to make at least that many and leave the rest at home - and 2) If everyone brings 6 cupcakes, then everyone will have to eat or take home 6 cupcakes. But that's not the point.

I saw this as the perfect opportunity to use my giant cupcake pan. I looked online and found these:

Giant Cupcake liners!! - which I did not have time to order for this occasion, but I probably will be purchasing in the future.

So, after a little more internet sleuthing, I found an idea to melt chocolate candy wafers and mold them in the cupcake pan. Somebody else suggested molding it around the outside of the pan so that you don't have to trim the cake down to fit inside. Chad tried that while I was at work. His came out really chunky looking, but was easy to get off the pan because he did it over Saran Wrap. So I broke it up into pieces and tried it when I got home from work. It was a little better, but I ditched the Saran Wrap and then couldn't get it off of the cake pan when it was done. So we had the brilliant idea to run some hot water on the inside of the pan, in hopes that it would melt the chocolate enough to release it from the pan. I grabbed the chocolate to slide it off, and it was already melted through. It was looking like I was going to have to give up on the giant cupcake liner. But I read a few more reviews online, and decided to try one last time. I melted the chocolate (for the 3rd time now) and brushed it on the inside of the pan (which I had let chill in the freezer) with a silicone pastry brush. Then I put it back in the freezer. (Instead of the refrigerator) I did 2 layers, and didn't bother to brush a base on it. I thought it might be easier to get out of the pan if it was just a ring. I took it out of the freezer the last time, and heard little popping like ice being dropped into a cup of water. I tipped over the pan and the mold fell out perfectly in my hand. IT FINALLY WORKED!!!!

So I was really excited. Here is the finished product:




So I took it over to the Relief Society thing and set it on the table with the other cupcakes. After everyone had gotten their cupcakes, there were still a bunch left over, including mine. Because, who's going to take it and just dig in? Which was fine. It was more for the novelty. But with all these extra cupcakes sitting around, they decided to take mine in the kitchen and cut it up. By the time they were offering people "pieces of the giant cupcake" (which, I wouldn't even want - it's just regular cake, and the presentation would be terrible) everyone had already eaten their cupcakes. So I'm pretty sure my cupcake got mangled and then thrown out. I avoided the kitchen so I didn't have to know, and just grabbed my tray and left. These pictures are all that remain of my lovely giant cupcake.

Anyways, I think it came out pretty awesome!! I wasted a lot of cake, frosting and chocolate in the process, but it still looks pretty cool. Next time my game plan will be a little more refined. And hopefully it won't take me so long.

2 comments:

ottspot said...

If there were a bunch of cupcakes left that no one wanted I would have just grabbed my giant cupcake and booked it out of there. You could have taken it to Young Women's!

mollie said...

I can't believe they cut it up and threw it away!! I can hear that giant cupcake crying from here.