Us

Us

Friday, April 29, 2011

Update

I feel like I have been really busy these last couple of weeks, but if you asked me what I've been doing, I don't think I could tell you.

School will be over in less than 4 weeks! It sounds like I won't have a job next year, so we'll see what happens.
I was looking through my school bag when I found a fortune cookie fortune from Panda Express from who-knows how long ago. It says "Avoid unchallenging occupations - they waste your talents." So true, Panda. So true.

Chad's family was here for Easter - and I owe you an update about that, but I don't have time right now. A good time was had by all. (I think)

I wish it would quit snowing here. We woke up this morning to 2 inches plus a nice layer of ice all over the car. I better not still be scraping my car in May.

... I really really really want to go somewhere warm and tropical.

Oh - and there was a district budget meeting last night at the elementary school just down the street from our house. It was a required public hearing - they weren't actually going to announce what they have decided to cut. We went over for about 20 minutes, and listened to a teacher in charge of the music/PE program at the elementary schools explain how awesome their program is. (Yes, music and PE are one position at the elementary schools). It really annoyed me. I spent high school going to Board of Ed meetings asking them to not cut the drama program. And I, of all people, do think music is important. But these people were just up there going "we're so important - feel guilty if you even THINK about cutting us." I was like that in high school, but there's more to it. The fact of the matter is, they have to make cuts. If that means making the PE/Music teaching a part-time position at the elementary level, they're going to do it. If that means the kids only have music once a month, they're going to do it. If that means they have a regular classroom teacher teach her own classes music and PE, then they're going to do it.

Obviously EVERYONE thinks what they do is important, or they wouldn't do it. And nobody wants to lose their job. I understand that. But education in Idaho sucks right now, and if they're mandated by the state to cut so many positions or so much money, then they're going to do it. And like I said, I love music, but they will NEVER cut math, or science or English before they cut music. They will make music an after school club. They will encourage kids to join community choirs (many of them already have). They will hire someone part-time.

This teacher was the only person we heard speak the whole time we were there. She and her colleagues (about 20 elementary PE/Music teachers) drafted this letter and read it to the Board of Ed. She tried to tell the board how important their recorder program was because after learning the recorder, a kid can pick up a saxophone and play right off the bat, and be ready for the band program. Which is stretching the truth quite a bit.

I think music in public education is important, but there are ways to incorporate it without having a full-time music teacher (at the elementary level). There are other ways to get kids music - they can take private lessons, or join a church choir, or join a community choir, or an after school club.

Listening to this woman blast the Board of Ed for cutting a program they hadn't cut yet was really frustrating. It made me want to go up there and say "You know what? Obviously I want to keep my job just like everyone else. But I understand you have to cut 1 classified position from our school, and I'm the newest classified position. And the current teacher can do my job and you don't have to pay her any extra for it. So I'll make it easy for you - just cut my job and move on to the next thing."

They were hoping the public hearing would provide the community the opportunity to give input on ways to make cuts without cutting important programs, but all it was was a "Don't cut MY job!" -fest.

All these parents show up to support their various causes, and I think - if we all just paid even $5 more in taxes, we wouldn't have this problem. But nobody would ever give up their precious money to taxes. Even if it paid for better schools, better roads, and better public services. When it comes down to it, the problem is money. And people don't want to part with it.

2 comments:

Nielsen Family said...

Nicely put, and I wish that if we did pay $5 more in taxes it would actually go to the programs they say it will go to. Because as we all know, the government doesn't want to part with the money either unless it's for their interests and unfortunately their interests are not public school programs.

mollie said...

Well, Idaho has the lowest per-student education spending in the country... except Utah.

And research from 2008 says only 25% of ACT-taking ID students demonstrated proficiency in science, English, and math high enough that they wouldn't have to take remedial classes in college.

Perhaps that's why HGSE said there are no ID students enrolled this year. So... I don't know- perhaps sooner or later ID will get on the wagon, because the education world certainly thinks they're not doing so great...