Us

Us

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Suzy Homemaker I Am Not

So recently Chad has found that nearly every pair of his jeans has a hole in it. This is due to the fact that he wears jeans to work every day.

He now only has one pair left that doesn't have a hole. It was time to buy new jeans, or else try to fix the old ones. After a trip to Wal-Mart, I found myself equipped to try the fixing. I pulled out my sewing machine from mom, and my laptop. I found a YouTube video by a lovely "fashion designer" with some kind of accent who called the thread "cotton" all the time. So I had the machine threaded by the time I was done with that and then tried some stitches on scrap fabric. I called mom somewhere in there because the machine kept getting jammed up. After about half an hour to forty-five minutes, she decided there was something wrong with the tension. (Which was set to zero) After fixing that, things ran smoothly for a bit, and I finally got one pair of jeans mended. I didn't want to do the next pairs until Chad had seen what I had done to the first pair, just in case it would be a waste of my time.

So. One bobbin full of thread, two machine needles, and three hours later, I mended
one pair of jeans.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just keep at it and you'll be Suzy Homemaker before you know it. Aren't you glad I made you all make shorts one summer?

Megan Busath said...

I don't remember making shorts - maybe I was too young for that project?

The only sewing I've done is sewing that ribbon on the pioneer dress you made, and making those party clothes for Chad. At least I think that's it.

And I didn't say it didn't make me feel accomplished.

ottspot said...

Evan and I made shorts. And your machine is probably not heavy duty enough to sew denim. Mine couldn't handle 3 layers of felt with a layer of interfacing.

mollie said...

and that summer she made us make pajama pants??