Us

Us

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Pioneer Day

... Last week in Priesthood and Relief Society, we talked about trials or something. Apparently in Priesthood, they got into a conversation about what trials modern-day Saints have to endure. And apparently someone in the class said that "We have our own trials. They're different from the ones the pioneers endured, but they're more emotional" or some such nonsense.

No, no they're not.

I don't care who you are, walking until your feet literally fall off, burying your babies along the way, leaving your homes, watching your family members get beaten and tarred & feathered, having your stores and temples and homes destroyed... ?

That's a little more emotional than having protesters hold up signs and call you close-minded.

... Just sayin'.

2 comments:

mollie said...

I had to teach that lesson on Sunday in Relief Society. I said the same thing! "People say we have trials, and they're not harder or easier, they're just different." And I said... no, I think they're easier. Seriously- if I had to walk across the country and bury my babies on the way, and have my town ransacked by angry people who have government orders to kill us all, I don't think I would have survived.

I think half the class gave me dirty looks. I guess I wasn't sympathetic enough with the "Our lives are unbearably hard too!" song and dance.

p.s.- my word verification is "dingis".

ottspot said...

Yeah I said that same comment to someone the other day...I said "umm...I'd rather live now than walk across the plains and bury my kids"...but sometimes putting up with the our-life-is-harder set is just too hard...so maybe, like, our life is harder after all?!