Us

Us

Friday, September 19, 2008

YOOR a nus

It has been a long week!
I am taking 19 credits this semester, including two online classes - Astronomy Lab and Doctrine & Covenants. My other classes are:

Woodwind Methods: I learn how to play each of the woodwind instruments. Right now I am learning the
bassoon.

Music Literature: a more in-depth look at music history I learned in Music 100.

Scoring and Arranging: I learn about arranging music for orchestra and band instruments. I will eventually arrange music for small ensembles, as well as full orchestra. Please note: I do not write the music, I only arrange somebody else's work to be played by the different groups.

Astronomy: I learn about the stars, moon and everything else I thought I knew more about. I liked it better when I could look at the sky, and not understanding anything about astronomy say "ooh pretty!" and be done. Now I look at the sky, and not understanding much about astronomy say "I don't know what the heck I'm looking at/looking for. ... oooh pretty!" It is very interesting stuff though, and I like it. I'm just saying, I'd like it more if I understood it better.

Exceptional Students: I learn how to deal with disabled students in my classroom. I also learn the various state laws (which will be useless when I move out of Idaho - but hopefully some carry over) relating to the education of special education students.

Clarinet Lessons: I learn how to play the clarinet and perform a jury at the end of the semester during which a third of my final grade rests on a single performance. Boo.

In addition, I am in 4 ensembles:
Symphony Band (previously known as Wind Ensemble - this is the group that went on tour in April): I play first chair clarinet.

Symphony Orchestra: I play second chair Bb clarinet as well as the Eb clarinet and A clarinet. This ensemble performs the "Halloween Concert" every year, all 6 performances of it.

Sinfonietta (Chamber Orchestra): I play first chair clarinet on one piece, out of their four piece program.

Chamber Winds: I play clarinet in a quintet consisting of French horn, Oboe, Bassoon and Flute. (Well, and me)
Today was my first day in this class (they meet only on Fridays) and I'm hoping to switch with someone so I don't have to be in it.

This means I am usually at school from 7:30 am to about 5:00pm. On average. This includes 2 hours of practicing a day.

Anyways, my point is, I am GLAD it's the weekend!

Plus, I wanted to tell you an unfortunate story about my Astronomy class. We were divided into six different groups, and were told we were going to be doing a project, including a 25 minute presentation on a planet towards the end of the semester. We were supposed to write on a piece of paper what our first three choices were, and we may or may not get one of them. Apparently everyone, like us, chose Saturn and Jupiter as their first two. Today we were told the results of his randomly assigning our groups. My group, being as lucky as we are, was one of the ones that didn't get any of the planets it wanted. Drum roll please ....... Uranus. The ONE planet that NOBODY wants and WE get it. Now we have to do a 25 minute presentation trying to make sure we pronounce the name right so as not to offend anyone. You can pronounce it that way all you want but everyone still knows the pronunciation you are avoiding. Ugh. I suggested that we just call it planet "U".

' "U" is the seventh planet from the sun, and the third largest in diameter.'

... I like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's really no winning with this planet. It's either urine-us or yer-anus. I think they should have kicked it out of the solar system instead of Pluto which has a perfectly good name.

Anonymous said...

As innocent as I am I thought it was just straight forward Uranus! I really enjoy reading your blog and all the updates! What a load you are carrying!! I never took more than i6 inits at a time! WOW! I love you both!! GMB