Us

Us

Thursday, August 14, 2008

It is now day 3 of living in our apartment. It's looking not quite so cramped, but there is still a bunch of stuff we have to go through and a bunch of stuff still in storage - my electric toothbrush among them. I'm sad about that - I thought we would've found that in one of the boxes already, but to no avail. I brush my teeth like a sucker.

Anyways, since you last saw our apartment, we have added a computer/tv desk - Chad has a small flat screen tv, so we're conserving space by combining an entertainment center with a desk. It's working pretty well so far.



We can't wait to have a couch! It will make the place feel so much more like an apartment. But it's good we don't because it gives us time and space to organize our junk before it gets here.

Yes, so, desk, and kitchen table. We were excited about this. We finally have a table! And it's the perfect size and one of the chairs doubles as our computer desk chair. It's a small round table with collapsible leaves on either side so we can put those down for more space, which is pretty much perfect. We bought it at KMart and put it together ourselves. As we were doing that and Chad was getting more and more frustrated with the chairs and trying to get them put together, (yelling at the furniture), I asked him if he felt like a husband. He said he did.

So our new table - We bought a table cloth for it to bring some color into our otherwise brown apartment.


We bought hangers and organized our closet and Chad put together the bookshelf mom got us from Grandma's.


We bought some bathmats and a vinyl shower curtain to hang on the inside of the nice shower curtain one of Chad's relatives bought for us for my bridal shower.


And we have added a few decorations of our own, and the place looks a lot better already.



We also made a trip down to Pocatello on Tuesday and retrieved our mattress from my cousin Bryan who is generously hanging on to it. We got pretty much everything except for the big pieces of furniture, like the entertainment center, the couch, the box spring, and my bike.
Still a lot of work to do!

Yesterday we also went down to the bookstore and looked up the prices of my books. If FAFSA comes through and gets us any money, I would gladly just buy them there, then sell them back at the end of the semester and have cash in my pocket. But since we're not sure about that yet, I ordered them from half.com. One of my used books at the bookstore would have been $107. I found it online for $48. But I found that the bookstore does not make it easy to purchase your books somewhere else. On the little book listings they hang on the shelves, the include an ISBN right there - so you think, oh great! I just have to write that down and I'll be on my way. But, what you wouldn't realize is that that is just the bookstore's new ISBN. So you look on the back cover of the book - and they've plastered their own sticker with price and their own ISBN on it right over the original ISBN. So you have to look at the publisher's page to get the real ISBN in order to have any success whatsoever. Which I did. I also took pictures of the covers of each book to make sure I was buying the right one online. I felt like an undercover cop. Luckily it is still really dead on campus so nobody bothered me or tried to be helpful in a non-too-helpful way. So that ended up costing $350-something. For like, 7 books. That's crazy! Stupid college textbooks. My professor last year was telling us that one of our books (a very small book, at that) was like... $5.00 for a long time. But when they found out colleges were using it as a textbook, the price shot up to $71.00. So we paid $71.00 for a 30 page book, about the size of the DMV's driving manual which they give you FREE.

Chad has been applying to a bunch of different places, including the local school district. He told them what kind of position he was looking for and they said they'd "be in touch". So hopefully that'll work out, but for now, we keep looking.

Yesterday Chad's brother Christian drove down from West Yellowstone where he's working and brought a friend with him and they signed the papers and sold the blue car. Yes, the very same blue car that broke down right underneath me in February 2007. IT'S SOLD!!! We couldn't be happier.

That's about it for today. We continue organizing and unpacking, and job-hunting today. I don't want to go back to school!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're having fun decorating your little home. I still wish you would take the rose out of the background so it doesn't distort your pictures. Where are the peacocks? I couldn't tell from the picture. I'm glad so many of Grandma's things are getting a new lease on life. I think she would be pleased they didn't just go to the dump. I'm praying for a good job to open up for Chad.
I hope you didn't really mean it about not wanting to go back to school. You ought to be excited about getting back into the swing of things and getting closer to graduation. Practice hard and make Brother Holman feel his confidence in you was warranted.
Mom

Megan Busath said...

The peacocks are on the bathroom wall opposite the sink/mirror. And, yes, I do want to go back to school, it just sounds like a lot of work.

ottspot said...

Those are some lovely decorations for sure. Looks like you could use some storage options that aren't very big but tall...like if that bookshelf were twice as tall. Did I ever tell you that you guys could take that folding ladder bookshelf we had in the living room? We planned to give it to you but now that I think about it I'm not sure where it is...or if you'd have anywhere to put it. Oh well.