Us

Us

Monday, July 14, 2014

Moving Out: Hillcrest Edition

In June, I officially resigned from teaching at Hillcrest. I still had to do the 4th of July parade, and clean out my room. I finished cleaning and moved out today. I am no longer a teacher! It has been a long and crazy 3 years. I feel like I put a lot of work into the program, and it is bittersweet to leave. I spent countless hours at Hillcrest/work - basketball and football games, cleaning, lesson planning, parent-teacher conferences, calculating grades, cleaning and organizing uniforms, back-to-school night, parent night, planning trips and fundraisers, performing, setting up and taking down performances. On a typical day, I spent far less time with my own little Charlie than I did with other people's kids. Some days he would be asleep when I left and asleep when I got home. I also got to deal with angry parents and students on a regular basis, and all of the joys of differing opinions about what should be taught (and how it should be taught) in my classroom. 

I will miss the rare moments when I felt like a student appreciated me, or when they got excited about something I was teaching, or when I got to help them achieve something. I made some relationships that I truly value. I will miss having other adults to talk to, being a part of a community of awesome professionals, and I will miss the music. 

But now I get to stay at home with two sweet little boys. One who says "Thank you mom" whenever I get him a snack or popsicle, put him down for a nap, get him up from a nap, change his diaper, or give him a hug. One who wants to show me things, play with me, and snuggle with me. I have to say, I am pretty excited to watch the school year start and not have to be there for it. (Although, I'm sure it will be weird at first.) Maybe someday I will go back, but for now, I will try to appreciate being a stay-at-home mom. 

If I hadn't just had a baby, and wasn't moving out of my house at the same time, I might have cleaned up and organized the band room a little bit more, but I had to let it go. 
Instrument locker room




Music library
Guitar storage room
Percussion room
(I already took my name card down)



Before
After
Goodbye Hillcrest! Good luck!

No comments: