Us

Us

Monday, August 15, 2011

Working Woman

Hello all!
Since you last heard from me, we spent a lovely week in California visiting Chad's family. I think I have a total of 1 picture to document our time. We played games, ate good food, went to the mall, visited Wal-Mart and got many baby-related items. On our way home, we stopped in Provo to see Erin and my mom for a few days.

I interviewed for the job at Hillcrest on Friday morning, August 5th, before we got in the car and drove all day to get to California. On Thursday, August 11th, they called to offer me the job! I am officially a part-time band director at Hillcrest High School in Ammon, Idaho. This was bittersweet for us, because we had a trip planned for the second week of September to go back to Connecticut and see my family, visit the Big E and do other fall, New Englandy type things. Now I have to be teaching school. :o( No chocolate eclair for me. I was excited to go to Cape Cod, Lyman Orchards, Friendly's, XPect, the Goodspeed, and in general, enjoying the season of autumn which is nearly non-existent here, but as they say, life gets in the way.

The job at the high school is only part-time, which is good for me with a baby on the way. I will still have time to go to appointments, go shopping, etc during the second half of the day during which I will not be teaching. I will also be doing pep band which earns me an extra stipend. I am excited to be back at the school working with a lot of kids that I already know. I will be teaching Band, Jazz Band, Beginning Guitar and Percussion Ensemble. It is a lot less intimidating than a full-time teaching load. It is gratifying to finally be using my education and doing what I wanted to do since middle school. It's just weird that I'm going to be actually doing it. Being a band director was something I was going to do when I was all grown up. Wait a minute...

My life has become busy almost overnight.

I had new teacher orientation this morning, and then I went over to Hillcrest to see if I could get some keys and get into the building. The head custodian knows me from my student teaching (and happens to be the brother of a guy in my ward) so he set me up, and took me down to see the room. Holy cow, is there a lot of work to be done. Not that I'm surprised. So I will be spending most of my free time this week at the school. Next week begins teacher work days/in-service days, and then school starts on the 29th! I am excited to have a job, but I wish I had more time!! So between now and then I have to clean up the room, create syllabuses (syllabi?) for each class, pick music, decide how I'm going to grade each class, and decide classroom procedures. In addition to that, if you'll remember, I'm in the midst of choosing music for the children's choir and attending "open registration" days for that.

So, here I am, having been sitting at home all summer, with little to do and now I will be working 2 jobs. I have to say, I will miss the days of lazing around the house with the puppy. I was getting pretty good at it! And it will be hard to leave a new baby with a babysitter, if even only for 4 hours a day, 3 or 4 times a week. But at least I'm not driving to and from Rexburg to do it all. It will be nice to be able to come home and be somewhere close enough that I can run back over to the school if I need to.

Anyways, I am enjoying my last few moments of freedom where I can get them. And currently Judge Judy is on, so I bid you adieu. And perhaps I will enjoy what may be my last nap of the summer.


No comments: