Us

Us

Monday, March 10, 2008

Hello blog readers!
Let me tell you a story about daylight savings time.
So Saturday night, knowing that Daylight Savings Time would go into effect at about 2:00 am the next morning, I set my alarm on my phone, thinking that it would automatically reset itself to the correct time and thus ensure that I got up at the right time. It's foolproof... right?!
No, you, like me, would be wrong about that.
I set my alarm for 8:00am, giving me plenty of time to get up and get ready for church which begins at 9:30. Sunday morning as I was laying contentedly in my bed, I heard the noise of the hair dryer. Thinking it must be about time to wake up, I rolled over and looked at my phone -- 7:53am. I looked at my clock radio which I thought I hadn't successfully reset the night before -- 7:53am. Hm. I must've reset it afterall. So I fall back asleep, cherishing my 7 minutes before my alarm goes off. And in the middle of my dream, I'm thinking -- it sure does seem like it's been a while... my alarm should've gone off by now. I wake up and roll over and look at my phone -- 9:05. So did I fall asleep and really sleep for another hour? No. My alarm never went off. After doing some investigative work (Kimberly blow dried her hair about 1/2 hour before I got out of the shower, which was at 9:15) I realize that my phone decided to accept Daylight Savings Time at about 8:00am. Except that it went straight from 7:59am to 9:00am. 8:00am on Sunday March 9th, 2008 never existed. Hence why my alarm never went off. We were late to church because of me, but not by much -- we walked in in the middle of the opening hymn. I called Chad (who also has Verizon) after church and he said his phone did the same thing. He missed sacrament meeting altogether. Anyways. I wanna know what happened to 8:00!! I needed that time to get ready for church! I don't want it back in November when it's no good to me anymore!
Obviously Benjamin Franklin didn't take cell phones into account when he came up with this glorious plan.
In Australia their clocks change half an hour at a time. I can't even imagine getting used to that. I would wake up thinking it was 8:30, get ready only to realize that 9:00 is now 9:30. An hour would occur in the space of half of one. So here in the U.S. that hour just doesn't exist. . . . ?

...Sure makes me wish I lived in Indiana...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately for you, all of Indiana has observed DST since 2006. Oh, and that's why I use a regular alarm clock.

Anonymous said...

you could live in arizona. they don't observe dst. ;)

Megan Busath said...

arizona it is!

mollie said...

three comments on one post, wow! i bet you're feeling popular...

mollie said...

oooo that makes 4! and this makes 5!

(p.s.- poo poo to you and your approved comments...)