Us

Us

Monday, November 01, 2010

Dead To Me

As a Dickerson, it is my solemn responsibility to keep a detailed list of all of the people and places that have, in some way, wronged me or my family. Fondly labeled the "Dead To Me" List, it helps me keep track of all of the people and places now undeserving of my company and business.

Let it be known that today I add WalMart's after-Halloween candy sale to the list.

After complaining about having no trick-or-treaters and a plethora of candy, we ended up giving most of it away to Chad's brothers and Sunday School class, leaving us with only a few pieces for ourselves; which should be fine, but, as a Dickerson, it is also my solemn responsibility to seek out clearance candy and purchase it in ridiculously large amounts.

Today after school, I decided to make a quick stop at WalMart, check out the deals, and pick up some candy with the money mom sent me for this purpose. (I don't like her famous sugar cookies because when I was little I liked them so much that I ate them until I threw up.) They had surprisingly little to choose from, but I found some favorites and headed for the checkout. I had: a bag of Kit Kats, a bag of Twix, a bag of Snickers and a bag of Peanut M&Ms. I get up to the checkout to watch my goodies ring up at full price.
"These aren't half price?"
The teenage checker replies "Uh... they said some of the chocolate was on sale and some of it wasn't."
::eye roll::
"Well, I don't want any that isn't half price."
"Okay.
....
"Looks like it's just the Kit Kats then."

Are you kidding me?

So I bought my Kit Kats for $1.33 leaving me plenty of change to spare, and left the store, walking out past all of the orange boxes of Halloween candy with little stickers that say "50% off" from which my abandoned candy had been taken.
Let it be known that I do not even like Kit Kats that much.

So WalMart after-Halloween candy sale - you are officially dead to me. Whose brilliant idea was it to put some of the candy on sale and some of it not? Because it was not very brilliant. And it has earned you a spot on my Dead To Me List.

I could go to Target, but I hear their candy is only 30% off, and as far as I'm concerned... that's not even a sale.

7 comments:

ottspot said...

Bryce asked if I went and bought any Halloween candy. I told him that last year I went and Macey's had it for 20% off. What are you going to do - save it for next year Macey's?? You should have just told the cashier "The box said 50% off on all of this." The cashiers at our Walmart always just manually change the price. They must have a policy that it isn't worth doing a price check. I had a similar problem when I found tons of packages of scotch tape 75% off with the Christmas clearance stuff. It wasn't a Christmas item but it was all there on the shelf with the leftover wrapping paper and about a dozen clearance signs so I told them it said 75% and the guy changed it...although he couldn't calculate what the price should be and spent 10 minutes looking for a calculator while I kept telling him the price.

Abbie Burnham said...

Same with Target - we only got Reese's Cups on sale!

Anonymous said...

Megan, Dickersons don't give up that easily when it comes to half-price candy. I went to Wal-Mart today and ran into the same thing. They had pallets full of candy all marked 50% off but most of which did not ring up on sale. I informed the cashier that they were all marked half price. She checked with a manager and apparently was told to ring it up half price. If only she had known how to do it. I waited while she punched numbers on a handheld calculator for what seemed like forever and people backed up in the line behind me. It was hard fought but I eventually got all my candy at 50% off. So get back to Wal-Mart and do the family proud.

Nielsen Family said...

I hear you, it doesn't even seem like sales anymore so this year we forwent it (is that the past of forgo?) of course it also helped that we still have some of the clearance candy from two years ago! My husband is big on the deals and on candy, but out of sight, out of mind and I will never lose the baby weight with the candy out.

mollie said...

YAY mom got candy!!!!!

... now I just have to get home to eat it.

ottspot said...

And as per my text...I stopped at Macey's tonight and their candy was not 20% off like last year. It was 20 CENTS off. As in signs that say: "Regular price $2.89. Now $2.69." I noticed a disturbing trend this year both at Walmart and Macey's (the only 2 places I looked). Instead of having candy in Halloween packaging they just had a bunch of bags of fun-sized candy in normal packaging which they then didn't put on sale and just returned to the shelves...or put on a non-sale like Macey's. At our Walmart they had buckets of "Halloween" candy marked 50% off but it was only like the gummy eyeballs and stuff...nothing chocolate. This is lame.

Kimberly said...

I was so disappointed to find that target was only 30% off. You are right not a clearance price at all. Walgreens had it at 50% off but its more expensive to begin with anyway.