Us

Us

Friday, March 13, 2009

A Tale of Two Wisdom Teeth

(okay, okay, four)

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

About a week ago, my bottom right wisdom tooth started hurting really bad. All of my wisdom teeth have hurt at little intervals as they broke through my gums, but this didn't go away, and in fact, only got worse. I started taking Ibuprofen Sunday night just so I could sleep, and have been on it ever since. Now - a problem in the mouth causes another problem. Being a music major requires a ridiculous amount of playing the clarinet, which requires the firming of the muscles in the mouth and cheeks. Hence a lot of pain for me since my tooth started hurting. So I haven't really been able to play for the last week - I can play for short passages at short intervals, but not a long time straight. Not really very helpful, but enough to get me through ensemble rehearsals.

So, being desperate, and needing to get fixed so I can play again, I called up some dentists and set up a consultation appointment. That was yesterday morning. They looked at my teeth and said they should be easy extractions because they've all broken through already. The top two are just like regular extractions, and the bottom two will require just a little bit more work. Anywho. So I have to get all of my wisdom teeth taken out. The question was - when? It getting close to the end of the semester, that means it's concert season. I have four concerts and a jury between now and the end of the semester, April 10. So should I wait until the semester ends? As Brother Holman pointed out - well you can't play anyway! So we decided that the sooner I could get it done and get recovered, the better, with hopes that I could still play in the final concert. I will still be able to go to rehearsal between now and then, I just won't be able to play.

So I asked the doctor - when could you get me in if we want to do it "as soon as possible"? He thinks - "Well, I have a seminar tomorrow, but I'll probably be bored anyway, so I can leave early. ... Tomorrow at noon?"

So - in about 15 minutes I will show up at the dentist's office to have all four of my wisdom teeth taken out. Ugh. Signing off for the last time with all 32 of my teeth. Next time you hear from me I will only have 28.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read an article about how scientists think that before long they will know how to get people to grow new teeth when needed - as long as they have a wisdom tooth left (I guess for the DNA or something)Too bad you will be out of luck if you need to grow new teeth when you're 80. They did say it could work if your Mom saved any old tooth tissue and I have a drawer with some old baby teeth - if only I could tell whose was whose.

Megan Busath said...

Well lucky for me, the dentist gave me all of my wisdom teeth to take home.

Kimberly said...

I was knocked out so it wasn't so bad. I also was on my parents insurance too. Good Luck. I hope you don't get chubby cheeks.

mollie said...

... I hope you send those teeth to the tooth fairy for some good money...